December 10, 2010

It is (not) all About Politics

Will President Obama let the tax cuts for the wealthy expire, or will the Republicans be successful and have Bush's cuts extended? Christine O'Donnell, a Tea Party candidate, just won the Delaware Republican primary, to the surprise of the general public.  She defeated a political matador, Mike Castle. New York is having trouble transferring from mechanical to computerized voting machines.
    This is what we see in the news every day. Headlines are full of the upcoming midterm elections and almost everything that is connected to them. But what do ordinary people think? Are they interested in politics at all? What do students and workers at the University of Richmond know about campaigns in their home states?
    Kassie Pollard, a sophomore from Tennessee, is interested in politics and keeps in touch with what is going on in her home town of Nashville.  She was asked to help out with a local campaign. "It was supposed to be a governor’s campaign for Democrats, but I turned the offer down," says Pollard, and explains, "I am very moderate and I come from a Republican family. I think they asked me because I went to school in a mainly Democratic county, so they assumed I was a Democrat as well, but I wasn't."
Some campaign commercials have stayed with her.  “I remember seeing an ad for a Republican candidate who invited some of the local Christian artists to speak.  For me, as a Christian, it was very interesting.  I thought this person might have some Christian values and I started to watch him," she says.
    Her peer, Rose Wynn from Maryland, says she cares about politics, but doesn't consider it to be a large part of her regular conversation. She, on the other hand, comes from a Democratic family and also describes her personal political leaning as Democratic. 
"I think more seats will be taken by Republicans as opposed to the president," Wynn says.  "It also depends on how Obama well supports Democratic candidates."
On this point she’s in accord with Thad Williamson, a political scientist from Virginia. He assumes that the results of the mid-term elections will partly depend on how hard Barack Obama campaigns and how effective he will be. "I think Republicans will gain seats, the question is how many," Williamson says. "However, Democrats will keep a slender majority."
Another influential aspect, according to Williamson might be current economic news.
     We won’t know whether these predictions were right or wrong until November. What is clear now is that even if politics is not topic number one for students at the University of Richmond, they still have at least an approximate view of what is going on in the world of suits, ties and big speeches.  

No comments:

Post a Comment